Waiting Between Messages - Balancing Enthusiasm With Playing It Cool
By Top10BestDatingSites Staff
You created your profile. You searched through profiles looking for that perfect match. Finally, you found it! You found the perfect profile! This person could be “The One”. You carefully construct a message, being sure every word is exactly right before sending. Then you wait.
And sometimes you wait some more. Should you write again? Maybe the first message wasn’t received. When will you receive a reply?! Do they not realize how perfect you would be together?!? When you do receive that reply, should you respond immediately, or wait? There is much to consider when corresponding with someone online, and it can seem a bit overwhelming. Below are some tips on successfully timing messages when communicating with someone you have met through an online dating site.
• Take a deep breath. When you are first corresponding with someone new, it can be easy to become overly excited, and a bit anxious. Whether you are contemplating sending a second message before receiving a reply, or trying to decide when to respond to someone, it is important to stay calm and keep your cool.
• Unless you forgot to say something important in the first message, wait for a reply before sending another. Sometimes people take a while to compose and send a message, and there could be many reasons for this. For instance, the other person may have had something come up and has been unable to get online. Keep in mind that if the person is truly interested, he or she will respond.
• Replying instantly is not always a good sign. If you are waiting at your computer for a message and immediately respond, you may come across as a bit desperate. Any healthy relationship includes individual time for each person and if you are always responding immediately, it will start to seem that you have few interests outside of that person.
• Allowing yourself some time away from your response may help you to have a better overall message. From a strict editing standpoint, it is a good idea to walk away from something you have written for a while before reviewing it. Giving yourself a break helps you review your message with fresh eyes and you are more likely to catch any potential errors that may have made a bad impression.
• Don’t play games. While it is good to wait a bit, there is no hard and fast rule about how long you should wait. If you refuse to respond to someone until at least three days have gone by, you may lose out on a relationship that could have been amazing.
There are several factors to consider when corresponding with someone, especially as you are beginning your relationship. However, if you are patient and relaxed about the process, you will be well on your way to finding a lasting relationship through an online dating site.
About Top10BestDatingSites Staff